Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mother's Day, and more pills for Shannon

Mother's Day came and went, and overall, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I was stressing out about it all week; the massive amount of advertizing associated with the event put me in a wicked funk. One the one hand, I felt like I should be celebrating; I am, after all, a mom. On the other hand, I don't exactly have all the same sort of Mom problems that make them super appreciated and deserving of a special day. Irrational, I know, but these are the things that go through your head.

The Saturday before, I had decided I was going to acknowledge it, and spend the day with people I adore. So, we spent the day with our friends/extended family, the Sweeneys. It wound up being an awesome day. Fried chicken, great music, Cards Against Humanity... it was awesome. I did break my news to the Sweeneys who were not in the know, since I wanted to be able to talk about it without having to wait until everyone had clears a room... pretty difficult in a house with seven people. It was a good day. Mike, being the wonderful and sensitive guy that he is, didn't say a word about it until about 4 that afternoon. He looked at me, gave me a kiss and said, 'Happy Mother's Day'. He said he would have said it earlier, but he wasn't sure how it would make me feel. Love that man of mine.

So, fast forward to Tuesday,  to my follow up with my endocrinologist. Apparently, my hyperthyroid condition (too much thyroid hormones being produced) has become a hypothyroid condition. So, now, instead of working overtime, my thyroid doesn't work at all. Which, alas, has forced me to take drugs to treat the condition. It's not super serious, for me or baby, since we caught it in a timely fashion, but it still bears watching. And I hate taking pills. They're little enough, but I have to take them in the AM, which, see the previous post, can sometimes be a challenge. But, otherwise, all is well.

Next update after the first trimester screening visit with the genetic counselor, the screening ultrasound, and a chat with the maternal/fetal medicine specialist. I'll keep you posted!

Love and light,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment